When you are using Z-Wave protocol ADL sensors, you have your choice of two Z-Wave transceivers (antennas), the Z-Stick or the Z-Troller. The Z-Stick is more commonly used. The Z-Troller is more expensive, and it must be plugged into an electrical outlet, but it has a larger range than the Z-Stick. It is appropriate for older houses or larger houses.
How to Install a Z-Troller
At the touchscreen (or for a CoMo box - at the system emulation image):
- Plug the Z-Troller into an electrical outlet that is not switch-operated
- The Z-Troller is a serial device, so plug it into a serial port on the system if there is one, or use a Serial-USB adapter to plug the Z-Troller into an available USB port
- Press the System (Gear) button
- Enter the 4-digit System PIN (which is set, and can be viewed, on the Advanced Settings screen in the Care Menu)
- Press "Peripherals"
- Choose the antenna type (HomeSeer Z-Troller)
- Choose the port - your choices will be specific to the system hardware
- Press "Turn On"
- Restart peripherals when prompted
- If installed correctly, the row will now be highlighted in green. If there is a problem with the installation, the row will be highlighted in red.
- After it is installed correctly, you can begin to add Z-Wave devices, such as motion sensors, door sensors, etc.